Sunday 10 February 2013

Free pattern - drop stitch scarf in Noro Taiyo

When I knitted this scarf I added a comment to my raverly project page that I would write up the pattern "when I get time". Well its taken three-and-a-half years, but better late than never, right?



Sunlight Scarf by Sygneture Designs

Measurements: Approx 22cm (9 inches) wide and 170cm (5 feet 6 inches) long

Materials and equipment: 2 Balls of Noro Taiyo (actually uses about 1.5 balls), 40% Cotton 30% Silk 15% Nylon (Polyamide) 15% Wool. Pair of 5.5mm US 9 knitting needles.

Instructions:
Cast on 32 stitches.
Rows 1- 6: Knit.
Row 7: Knit, wrapping yarn around needle twice on each stitch.
Row 8: Knit, dropping extra loop of yarn.
Tip: you will now have elongated stitches under the needle. If you are new to this technique check that you still have 32 stitches.
Rows 9-12: Knit.
Repeat rows 7-12 until scarf measures the desired length. Cast off, run in ends and block gently.

There is enough length in two balls of Taiyo for a wider or longer scarf but Noro yarns are hand spun and are notorius for not keeping the colour sequence in order. I had to chop and rejoin a bit but didn't have too much trouble getting my colour sequence to repeat and making sure that I used all the pretty pink sections in my yarn.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am knitting with this yarn - my first time using Noro...making a lacy stitch scarf that I hope will be long enough to,wrap (only have one skein of this yarn)

    What I need to know is blocking technique? I have never blocked anything and wonder of I should, what it does to change the look, and the method to use.

    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I washed this and laid it (mostly) flat to dry, across an airer with just the ends hanging down. Washing really made the texture and feel nicer and all the dropped loops line up nicely.

      If you are doing a lacey stitch you might want to pin it to stretch the lace out. I used to use those foam matts that you get for kids that lock together. Do be careful if you use pins not to get ones that rust, there are special blocking pins but I used the sewing pins labelled for weddings dresses as they are stainless.

      Delete